Relocation of production of kitchen tools from Switzerland to South China
To transfer production (tooling, injection moulding, stamping, assembly) of kitchen tools from a Swiss plant to strategic suppliers in South China and closing down of the original Swiss plant.
In its function as a global operations manager, IMES was fully responsible for:
- Managing production in the Swiss factory
- Planning and executing the technology and know-how transfer
- Evaluation and developing strategic suppliers in South China
- Establishing new supply chain processes between suppliers in China and sales organisation in Europe and US
Manufacturing of products (including key assets) was transferred to four strategic suppliers in South China. Storage, shipping and the distribution of goods to end customers was taken over by an international forwarder.
The production in Switzerland was shut down gradually and at the end production equipment was sold at a final auction.
- Shut-down and technology transfer was realised within the targeted time of 18 months
- Challenge to maintain production in Switzerland during technology transfer and ramp-up period in China
- Managing a complex international task without any delay or quality problems